The historic village of Whitton was established on 1 September 1881, on the South Western Railway from Junee to Hay to connect the valuable western Riverina wool trade to Sydney.
Opened as ‘Hulong’, after the Parish, the Railway Station was renamed in 1883 by the State Rail Authority. They predicted that the future town to grow would become an important regional centre and the new name a good way to remember John Whitton, the Chief Engineer of Railways NSW since 1857.
During 1880s-1900s Whitton Railway Station received wool and wheat from Pastoral Stations north towards the Lachlan River mainly around Cargelligo and Euabalong. Copper ingots were also carried to Whitton Station by horse or bullock teams from Mt. Hope until 1910. Whitton was the main town for selectors on Nth Kooba, Ballandry, Merool Creek, Nth Benerembah and Nth Bringagee Pastoral Stations from 1881 until c1918. ‘Whitton District’ extended from Mt. Ida (Tabbita), Jondaryon (Griffith), Rankin’s Springs and Binya until railways reached those areas.
People from this wide area depended on Whitton for the Railway Station (wheat, wool, copper ingots, livestock, passengers, mail and shop supplies), A.J.S Bank (1889-1910), Postal and Telegraphic services, a variety of shops, hotels and a Rabbit Meat Canning Factory (1897-1906). Whitton also hosted community groups such as the Farmers and Settlers Association and the Riverine Carrier’s Union during its colonial era, with members coming from Whitton District and village.
A series of fires from 1892-1927 destroyed many of the original Colonial style wooden buildings. Art Deco style buildings replaced these, some of which remain today.